When I was a kid, every year with Christmas Eve we ate cheese croquettes. So I had good memories of it. Since I was vegan I didn’t eat it anymore. That was one of the few things that I sometimes missed. But then they invented vegan cheese! My former husband found it challenging to veganise dishes, so also wanted to work with this and made vegan cheese croquettes 🙂
I can still remember the first bite of the vegan cheese croquette after years after not having eaten it for years. It was delicious. We also sold them once in our webshop and everyone was very enthusiastic.
In short; ideal for this classic of classics! You can serve it with a salad with a little lemon juice, tomato, chives and a bit of veganaise or tartar.
Keep in mind that you must make your base a day in advance. This should really stiffen in the fridge overnight. The recipe is good for about 8-9 pieces.
- 200 grams soy margarine
- 200 grams flour
- 400 grams shredded vegan cheese
- 1 litre soy milk, unsweetened and at room temperature
- 100 ml soy cream
- 4 grams Agar-agar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 170 grams bread crumbs
- lemon juice
- Hold 100 ml of the soymilk separately in a cup. Mix the agar agar in it.
- Melt the margarine in a large pot on a low heat.
- Remove the pot from the heat once the margarine has melted. Add the flour and beat with the whisk until you have a firm - clotless - roux
- Put the pot back on a moderate heat and let it fry while you continue stirring. This way the flour flavor disappears.
- Pour in the remaining soy milk and soy cream with constant stirring. Make sure that everything mixes well and that no lumps remain. Keep stirring until the sauce thickens and you have a firm mass (some muscle strength is required with this recipe yes 😉
- Now take a large wooden spoon and add the shredded vegan cheese. Keep stirring until the cheese is completely melted. You now have a pretty thick mass so make sure it doesn't burn.
- Finally pour the soy milk with the agar agar and stir everything thoroughly again. Remove the pot from the heat and season to taste with pepper, salt and nutmeg.
- Take a square dish with raised edge and cover the bottom with parchment paper. That way you will be able to pour out the cheese mass more easily afterwards.
- Pour (or shovel) the cheese sauce. Spread it over the whole dish and ensure a layer of about 2.5 cm high (otherwise the croquettes are too small or too large).
- Cover the cheese sauce with foil or parchment paper and press it well against the sauce. This way there is no 'skin' on the cheese.
- Put the sauce in the fridge overnight.
- The next day, take the dish out of the refrigerator and carefully pour the mass onto a flour-covered cutting board. Sprinkle some extra flour over the cheese mass and cut with a large knife croquettes of about 4 cm by 5 cm.
- Take a bowl and add 3 tbsp corn starch, mixed with water or soy milk. Put the breadcrumbs in another bowl.
- Dip the croquettes 1 by 1 in the corn starch and then pass them through the breadcrumbs (tip: if necessary, push the cheese croquettes so that there is as little air as possible in the croquette). Make sure they are completely covered with bread crumbs.
- Put the ready-made croquettes on a plate.
- Heat the fryer to 175 degrees Celcius (350 ° F) and fry the croquettes per 2 in ± 4 minutes brown.
Tip: drop some lemon juice over your salad.
* A silicone mold makes it easier to pour out the cheese mass. I use a glass dish myself, and that sometimes takes some time … and happiness 🙂