What is overnight oatmeal?
Overnight oatmeal is oatmeal (rolled oats) that you put in the fridge overnight with some plant-based milk and optionally other ingredients.
You have two main ingredients: oatmeal and milk and of course I choose plant-based milk here.
In addition to these two things, it is fun, tasty and healthy to add all kinds of other ingredients. You can vary to your heart’s content with things that you like.
What ingredients can you use for an overnight oatmeal
- Oatmeal → You can go to gluten-free oatmeal here
- Plant-based milk (e.g. oat milk, almond milk, hemp milk, …)
- Plant-based yogurt (e.g. soy yogurt, coconut yogurt)
- Seeds (hemp seed, chia, linseed, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, …)
- Nuts (almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts, …)
- Something to sweeten (agave syrup, maple syrup, stevia, dates, …)
- Cocoa powder, chocolate chips
- Peanut butter → use pure like this peanut butter
- Fruit (mango, pineapple, banana, berries, strawberry, …)
- Dried fruit (raisins, goji berries, banana, apple, …)
- Vegetables (grated carrot, grated zucchini, pumpkin puree, spinach or kale mixed with the liquid)
- Spices and seasonings (a little salt, vanilla, cinnamon, gingerbread spices, nutmeg, turmeric, …)
- Coconut flakes, almond flakes, …
The three major benefits of overnight oatmeal are:
- You get very creamy and tasty oatmeal and you don’t have to cook it.
- You can prepare your container in the evening and just have to take it out of the fridge in the morning (if you probably have little time) and eat it or take it with you.
- Soaking oatmeal ensures that the oatmeal is better digested and that the phytic acid is reduced.
Moreover, with oatmeal you immediately get a lot of proteins and fibers.
How to make overnight oatmeal?
Put oatmeal in the container from which you want to eat it. Mix liquid, sweetener and chia seed. The chia seed must soak and swell in the liquid. This way you can absorb the nutrients better and it also becomes a bit of a pudding. Add fruit, nuts, and other toppings.
An ideal container for overnight oatmeal is the mason jar.
If you would like to have the fresh fruit and nuts crispy, just add them in the morning. Make sure that everything is ready, crops, nuts mixed, … so that it will be ready quickly 🙂
Have you ever made overnight oatmeal? Which ingredients do you use? Or are you going to try this recipe? Let us know in a comment below 🙂