A few years ago I’ve got a few products from someone, including the kale chips from Inspiral in 2 flavors. I really liked those with Wasabi!
I understand that people who do not really are into veganism, healthy food, etc. think kale chips is something for hippies. They have the idea that they’re going to eat something tasteless, but Inspiral’s had so much flavor that the standard person would like it. So I wanted that too.
I sometimes bought it, but it was not always easy to find here in Belgium. So then I try to make it myself. I made a kind of sauce from all kinds of herbs and spices. Afterward, they are mixed around the kale and then you can make your chips in the oven, microwave or dehydrator.
I have always made this with fresh kale, so the result with pre-cut and packaged kale can be different.
Healthy snacking with kale chips
With these chips, you can snack healthy. There is no sugar or oil in it. And kale is a very healthy vegetable because of the antioxidants, the high iron content, vitamin C, Calcium, … and is also low in calories.
In addition to eating as a snack or in the evening during your favorite Netflix series, you can also put the chips under a salad for extra crunch or in a soup instead of bread croutons.
- Kale (preferably fresh)
- 70 grams Cashews - min. 30 minutes soaked
- 60 ml water
- 2 tsp Tamari (soy sauce)
- 0.5 tsp Bell pepper powder
- 0.5 tsp Onion powder
- 0.5 Pilipili
- 0.5 tsp Wasabi (or wasabipowder)
- 0.5 tsp black pepper (freshly ground - to taste)
- Preheat the oven to 100º C or 210º F
- Remove the veins from the kale. Then cut the kale into small pieces. Wash it and put it in the salad spinner or towel so that it is dry.
- Pour the soaking liquid from the cashews and rinse well. Put them, together with the fresh water and herbs in the blender and mix to a smooth mass / sauce or use the handheld mixer.
- Put the kale in a bowl and pour the sauce over it. Mix well, so that each piece of kale is richly covered.
The fast way: microwave
- Take a plate and put pieces of kale on it. Make sure that they do not overlap. Put in the microwave for 1 minute at the highest setting, repeat until the kale is crispy. This can already be 2 to 3 times.
Kale chips from the oven
- You can of course also prepare the kale chips in the oven. This takes longer, but you can make a larger quantity in one go. Preheat the oven to 100 degrees Celcius or 210 degrees Fahrenheit. Put parchment paper on a baking tray. Sprinkle the kale over it and make sure it does not overlap.
- Bake the chips for about 1h 15 minutes. Turn the kale sometimes. Keep an eye on the end. The time may be shorter or longer depending on your oven, the humidity of the kale, the size of the pieces.
- You can also bake at a higher temperature and then it is much faster, but I notice that often a part is still too soft while another part is already going to black. Hence my preference for the slower way.
Rawfood kale chips
- If you want raw chips, you can make them with a dehydrator. I don't have this myself, so it's best to check in the manual of your device how long this has to dry.
Vary with different compositions of herbs and certainly share your successful version below. Do you like it, are you going to make this? Please leave a reaction below.