Recently I read a pretty funny joke that went like this: “20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope, and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope, and no Jobs. Please do not let Kevin Bacon die! “
Whether you eat vegan or not … it remains a good joke 😉
What that joke also indicates is that ‘bacon’ is apparently something that many people, not just Americans, seem to be mega-devoted to. In itself that is not surprising because bacon consists mainly of a lot of fat and salt. Two (unhealthy) things that can be rather addictive in a weird way.
In addition, bacon is meat of course … in our opinion, the best argument to no longer cram it in your mouth 😉
Anyway, the fact remains that many people love it. As a concession, we are happy to share our total vegan tempeh bacon option. In other words: tempeh bacon!
I do not dare or can claim that it tastes identical … but it is good.
In addition, our ‘bacon’ is a lot healthier for your body. Even though I expressly say ‘healthier‘ 😉
Super tasty with a salad, between a rich sandwich with vegetables (ciabatta for example) and many other options.
- 170 gram tempeh
- 15 ml tamari
- 15 ml olive oil + extra for baking
- 15 ml Agave syrup
- 1 tsp Liqud smoke
- pinch of Harissa (chilli paste) or sambal
- 1 tbsp Apple vinegar
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- pinch of cumin
- Black pepper (to taste)
- Salt (to taste)
- Cut the tempeh in thin slices lengthwise.
- Mix the remaining ingredients in a bowl and place the tempeh in it. Mix briefly and close the bowl. Allow to marinate at least 1 night. Remove the tempeh from the marinade and let briefly drain on a piece of kitchen paper.
- Heat olive oil in a pan and fry the tempeh slices briefly over a high heat until crisp. Season to taste with pepper and (not too much) sea salt.
Enjoyed this tempeh bacon recipe? Be sure to leave your comment below.