About 8-9 years ago I was having lunch with my colleagues at my former job, and one of them had a sandwich that immediately caught my attention. It was focaccia! 🙂
Bread of Italian origin
Kathleen (my colleague) told me that she had an Italian aunt who had taught her how to make this bread. Her aunt insisted that it was made on an Italian bread/pizza stone because it was much better.
Focaccia is an Italian bread. Actually like a pizza but higher. Initially, it comes from Liguria (the region around Genoa).
Make your own focaccia
In the absence of a brick oven or pizza stone, I baked the focaccia in a regular oven and a round flexible baking tin. Since I received the recipe, I make it very regularly. Usually, Sunday is the ideal day for this, and at noon we eat a nice piece of focaccia that is also well stuffed with all delicious food 😉
The advantage is that you can play with the ingredients. You can add other herbs, put olives on or in, …
- 500 grams flour (with wheat it becomes lighter, but I usually use spelt flour)
- 350 ml water (lighty heated)
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 package Instant yeast (ca 10 grams)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp rosemary
- 2 tomatoes, cut into thin slices
- dash olive oil
- 1 tbsp tomato puree (optional)
- Add salt, yeast, rosemary to the flour and mix well.
- Put a dash of olive oil at the flour and mix with a spoon. The oil of sun-dried tomatoes is also very tasty for this 🙂
- Squeeze the garlic and put it togheter with the tomato paste in the water.
- Make a hole in the flour and pour a part of the water in it.
- Mix a little flour with the water until all the water has been processed and add extra water.
- Mix to a whole and knead the dough well.
- Let the dough rest for about 10 minutes.
- Knead the dough a bit and put it in a round baking tin (or on a pizza stone)
Let the dough rise for at least an hour.
- Lay tomatoes on top and sprinkle with oregano.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 200 ° C for 15-20 minutes.
What is good with focaccia?
If the focaccia is well seasoned, it doesn’t need anything on it, but we love to have it with lots of extra’s 🙂
- Sun-dried tomatoes
- Cocktail sauce or veganaise
- Vegan cheese
- Vegan spreads
- Tofu slices
- Slices of olive
- Homemade tapenade
Does this also look so good for you?