When I went out with my parents as a child, for example to the Efteling in the Netherlands or another theme park, it was usually accompanied by a picnic with sandwiches with eggs. Now, of course, I haven’t eaten the latter for years, but sometimes I still have cravings for it. Those sandwiches with egg are linked to a positive experience. That still lingers.
Moreover, I was simply crazy about 🙂
Kala namak for the perfect egg taste of scrambled tofu
Fortunately, I have now found the perfect alternative for this: scrambled tofu. In other words: the vegan version of scrambled eggs on the basis of tofu and the most wondrous seasoning ever … kala namak. Unbelievable how much that tastes like egg. Super tasty as breakfast or between a sandwich. Just like before, so 🙂
- 1 little Onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 250 grams tofu, firm, nature (1 package)
- 1 tbsp Tamari
- 0.25 tsp Kala namak
- 0,25 tsp Turmeric powder
- Black pepper, freshly ground (to taste)
- lemon juice, (to taste)
- 1 tbsp olive oil or coconut oil - for baking
- Remove the tofu from the packaging and pat dry. Then wrap the tofu in kitchen paper and place on a plate. Place a heavy object on top and let rest for 1 hour. The less moisture there is, the more flavor the tofu will absorb.
- Then cut the tofu into small cubes and scramble them with a fork.
- Heat a tablespoon of olive or coconut oil in a pan and simmer the onion until soft. Add the garlic and cook briefly.
- Add the mashed tofu and sprinkle with the turmeric. Stir fry for a few minutes.
- Add the tamari and mix well again. Season to taste with the kala namak, freshly ground black pepper and a few drops of lemon juice.
This basic recipe can easily be extended with mushrooms, vegetables, tomatoes (in summer), spring onions, et cetera. Or try curry powder instead of turmeric. This scrambled tofu is also very tasty as topping on fresh asparagus. So it’s Flemish. Hmmm! 🙂